Another 10km done with my fun run buddy Sophie! With all the charity runs we’ve done this year, it’s like we’re saving the world one step at a time - literally! (at De Castella Run - for mental health research)
It’s been a strange week.
I haven’t run once yet. Not good.
I did a lot of strength/cardio classes. Good.
I didn’t eat well at all. Not good.
I worked really hard. Good.
But I still barely made a dint in my workload. Not good.
- The weather was stunning this week. A tad foggy, but so much beautiful sunshine. I couldn’t get enough of it. My morning walks were glorious.
- Supermarket antics. Buying ‘healthy’ snacks that are in fact, not healthy at all. But they were in the fruit and veg section which was very misleading. They were, nonetheless, incredibly delicious and I shared them (the calories that is) with my workmates because I am nice like that. Macadamia nuts in dark chocolate = droooool.
- I also bought not one, but TWO pineapples because they were only $2.40 each. Whaaaat? Am I suddenly living in a tropical country with an abundance of tropical fruit? Amazing. Apparently a small child shared my thoughts, when she announced loudly to her mother, “Look, that girl has TWO pineapples in her trolley!” That I do kid. That I do.
- Finally sat down and had a read of this book tonight (it’s been sitting on my bedside table for ummmm two months maybe?) It’s so much more than a recipe book. Marked up all the delicious looking recipes I want to try. They involved a lot of complicated healthy ingredients you can’t find in limited country supermarkets, but I’m in the city this weekend, so I will stalk out some health food shops there. By the looks of those tags, I’ll be cooking for years.
- Friday night ciders. If you like sweet ginger beer, you’ll like this. I dig.
- This was a paragraph from Nourish and it really hit home/made me feel a tad guilty about my bad eating habits. I’m thinking about asking my trainer to write up a food plan for me because it’s about time I took things seriously, and not just said I was going to take things seriously for the 4,938th time.
Geelong tomorrow to watch the boyfriend* play hockey, then hitting the gym with my ripped mate Josh. He’s a champ, can’t wait to catch up with him (and there will be plenty of gym selfies. He is the gym selfie king.) Then to my darling Sophie’s house in Melbourne for dinner and a sleep over, just like old times (we used to be housemates, they were the best times). We’re doing another 10km fun run on Sunday - the de Castella Run for Mental Health. A last minute decision, but a very good one at that. I was going to attempt the 15km run but the track looks suuuper hilly so I opted for 10. In hindsight, I probably should have challenged myself. Either way, I’m sure there will be blogging material involved.
I’ve also been getting really excited about joining a calisthenics club again next year, but discovered the club I had my eye on is Division 4. I only ever danced Div 8/9, and really have no idea if I’d be capable at a level that high, especially after 7 years out. I’m thinking I might sit in on a class and see what it’s like. It would mean I’d have to seriously work on my flexibility over the summer (splits, leg mounts, chest to floors) and probably master walk overs too. My other options are Tynong or Pakenham, but they’re much further to drive to practice. Decisions, decisions.
On that note, I’m hoping to get up early and sneak in a 5km run before we leave for Geelong tomorrow so I’d best get some sleep. If you made it this far, good on you!
Love S. x
*Wes wanted to me write he’s also ripped. So I’m going to watch my ~ripped~ boyfriend play hockey.
Not quite sure how I did it, but a 15km run happened today! Another PB - got my 10km down to 59 min. Now to soak in the bath for the next month! #running #halfmarathontraining
So cold out this morning! But the fact the sun is shining and it’s almost the weekend totally makes up for it. #morningwalk #mnb #movenourishbelieve #lornajane @ljclarkson #activeliving #fitnessjourney
Morning walk to the park feat. this guy. It really should be illegal to be this damn cute. - S x
Hey everybody, check out how lame I look! I was so pumped after my #run tonight I thought this would be a great photo. Now I’m looking at it an hour later…ummm. Anyway. Ran 8km in 45:36, cutting over 2 mins off my time which I am really proud of. I also set a 5km PB of 27:28. Bring on this #halfmarathon! (Actually please don’t, I still have so much #training to do!) #thumbsup #socool #running #fitnessinspiration #weightlossjourney #halfmarathontraining #mnb #movenourishbelieve #garmin #melbournemarathon
Getting sweaty at the #gym with the @kayla_itsines Bikini Body Guide so we can reward ourselves with these @triangl_swimwear #bikinis in time for summer! Pretty fool proof plan, no? #activeliving #weightlossjourney #fitnessinspiration #circuit #workout #mnb #movenourishbelieve #gymbuddies
Happy Monday everyone!
I’m trying this new thing called getting up at 5.40am on a Monday for a 6am spin class, and this morning, believe it or not, it was a great success! The secret? Organise for a friend to pick you up. That way they can’t bail cos they’re your lift, and you can’t bail because by the time you decide not to go, they’re already in your driveway and guilt wins. Every time.
Spin was definitely a challenge. Cycling is not my strong point, but I’m looking forward to improving. Also, I feel spin is my one way ticket to booty town and maybe even some baby abs, so no amount of burning thighs and calves will deter me.
The best-best-best thing about it though? I’m now bouncing around with tons of energy and endorphins and am all around feeling fantastic! This is exactly how I want to start my week, every week.
So now my focus this week is going to be on running, aiming for at least 5km/day, 3 days this week, as well as 8km and 12km runs. So five runs in all, at least 35km in total. We’ll see what eventuates. Even if that means more ugly selfies. (Must practise pretty post-gym selfies like organicallygorgeous.)
I’m also going to focus on my eating because yes, abs are made in the kitchen etc etc. Mostly I want to fuel my body with good, nourishing foods to be able to keep up with my hectic running schedule. My packed food for today, as you can see above, includes:
- yoghurt, puffed brown rice, thankyou vanilla muesli, blueberries and banana for a second breakfast (I smashed down a green smoothie in the car on the way home from spin for first breakfast).
- pumpkin, kale, quinoa and lentil soup, made by my friend Sally (also my lift to spin). It doesn’t look fantastic, but is actually delicious.
- quinoa and chia seed bread, and I also have some homemade hommus to go with it (also all made by Sally. I should move in with her, she makes the best meals!)
- I chucked a banana in too. Am avoiding the office jar of maltesers like the plague this week.
Tonight I’ll be attempting a Moroccan chicken salad for my next few lunches which I’m pretty excited about to be honest. Sometimes what I get to eat is the best part of my day (don’t deny you feel the same way).
Beat my Monday morning blues by getting out of bed at 5.40am for a 6am spin class. Not even mad. It was fantastic and I am now a bouncing ball of energy and endorphins. If you want to read more of my fitness/health banter, check out my blog with @yomarten! Link is in my bio. #fitnessjourney #fitnessinspiration #spin #cycling #gym #workout #exercise #mnb #movenourishbelieve #blackamdwhite #ohmyquad #weightlossjourney #mondayitis #halfmarathontraining #halfmarathon #workout
You’ll hearrrr their mighty roar!! @lucymayscafe #brisbanelions #AFL #footy #winnerwinnerchickendinner #brisbanevmelbourne #lionsvdemons
Ohhh yeah, it’s Friday baby! Makes me so happy. Only 10 hours until the weekend!
- So after my ranty rant last night, I dragged my behind to the gym and their commitment sign stared down at me once again. It basically sums up everything I need to apply to my life right now.
- At the gym I did the legs workout from the free kaylaitsines book you can download from her website. I’m looking at doing her 12 week Bikini Body program so thought I’d test out some of the circuits first and see how I went. Oh. My. It absolutely kicked my butt. Well actually, I kicked my own butt because I stuck to it the whole way through, didn’t stop, didn’t bail out early even though I was sweating up a storm and could barely move after the first circuit. Today I feel like I literally have been kicked in the butt, because walking is difficult. I did really enjoy it though! It looked a lot easier on paper than it was, and that was a nice surprise. I do a LOT of circuit/HIIT classes, but none of them quite push me like this one did. I guess the fact I didn’t have an instructor telling me to keep going too made me a tad proud that I kept it up. Bring on the arms circuit! (Because let’s be honest, no one needs to really lift things after arms day.)
- I have decided that glorious bikini will be a little prize for myself once I complete said 12 week challenge. Isn’t it beautiful? (sobs.)
- Just have to add, my green smoothie game is truly on par this week. They are greener than ever! This week has mostly been banana, pear, apple, kiwi, kale, spinach, green apple and avocado with almond and coconut milk and water. Also if you’re a big smoothie lover, I really do recommend investing in a Vitamix. It may have taken me eight months to pay it off, but it has been worth every single cent.
- Wesley and I are heading to the Peninsula tomorrow morning for a ~romantic~ getaway and I’m pretty excited about it. We’re going to the Hot Springs which could be disastrous since they’ve actually forecast snow for today and tomorrow, but at least it will be memorable? Maybe we’ll just have to stay in the hot water until we melt.
- Then Brisbane v Melbourne on Sunday! Goooo Lions!
- Now sitting here before work watching The Bachelor and eating yoghurt straight outta the tub. No shame.
I hope everyone has a smashing weekend!
Love S. x